YouTube has become the de facto jukebox of the digital age. The list of the top 10 YouTube videos is dominated by music videos — and not a single cat video. Love him or hate him, but Justin Bieber — who was discovered on YouTube — is the poster boy for the online video generation, with almost 1 billion hits. Not only is Bieber popular among the YouTube set, he has successfully parlayed his fame and ostensible talent to create an extremely lucrative empire — last year Bieber earned over $55 million according to Forbes Magazine. Not bad for an 18-year-old.
The list also shows that music artists have discovered that there is no better way to expanding your fan base than collaborating with another popular artist from another musical genre (“two for the price of one” ). The top two videos demonstrate this double-star-power attraction: Justin Bieber singing with Ludacris and Jennifer Lopez shaking it up with Pitbull. Not far behind are two female superstars who prove that they can stand on their own –Shakira and Lady Gaga.
Clearly, the internet generation loves its music; but it does have its nostalgic, sentimental side. Wedged conspicuously in the middle of this top ten list is the top-rated viral video, “Charlie Bit My Finger — Again!” most commonly known as the “Charlie Bit My Finger” video. Howard Davies-Carr filmed his two sons, Charlie and Harry, back in May of 2007. Howard says the video was “simply an attempt to capture the boys growing up” and wanted to share it with the boys’ godfather. The video not only captured the boys growing up, it captured a lot more: half a million hits and over $500,000 for the family (earned through advertising spots on YouTube). What makes a video go viral is anybody’s guess — dozens of articles have been written about why “Charlie Bit My Finger” became such a big hit and the video has launched almost an equal amount of parodies and imitations. The viral video, however, remains beyond the reach of most mortals — an alluring elixir of videos for modern day alchemists.
We should all hope that in an attempt to smash the current YouTube video record, Justin Bieber does not team up with JLo and record a song titled “Charlie Bit My Finger.”
1. Justin Bieber, “Baby” featuring Ludacris – 744,119,013 views
2. Jennifer Lopez, “On The Floor” featuring Pitbull – 547,049,785 views
3. Shakira, “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” – 473,021,355 views
4. Lady Gaga, “Bad Romance” – 469,477,268 views
5. Eminem “Love The Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna – 464,401,789 views
6. Charlie Bit My Finger – Again! – 457,755,043 views
7. LMFAO “Party Rock Anthem: featuring Lauren Bennett, GoonRock – 444,242,035 views
8. Michel Teló, “Ai Se Eu Te Pego” – 355,628,147 views
9. Don Omar, “Danza Kuduro” featuring Lucenzo – 351,064,445 views
10. Eminem, “Not Afraid” 341,089,557 views
Read related posts:
For further reading: www.readwriteweb.com/archives/top_10_youtube_videos_of_all_time.php