There Should Be A Word for That: Bibliorts

alex atkins bookshelf wordsPeople who read real books (you know the ones made of paper) use all sorts of things, other than bookmarks, to mark their place — random scraps of paper, ticket stubs, photos, postcards, notes, post-its, tissues, letters, etc. Lexicographer Paul Dickson believes these types of alternative bookmakers deserve their own name. He calls them bibliorts, derived from the Greek word biblio meaning “books” and orts, an old and rare term for “scraps.” Interestingly, some readers use various bibliorts to mark several places in a book. High school and college students, for example, are notorious for using dozens of colorized post-it notes to mark important passages in a famous novel that they are studying.

SHARE THE LOVE: If you enjoyed this post, please help expand the Bookshelf community by sharing with a friend or with your readers. Cheers.

Read related posts: Words Invented by Book Lovers
How Many Words in the English Language?
Words with Letters in Alphabetical Order
What is the Longest Word in English?
There’s a Word for That: Epeolatry
Words for Book Lovers

For further reading: Words by Paul Dickson.

Join the conversation

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: